Sunday, January 23, 2005

17 years ago today...

a young boy (19) and a young girl (20) were married at Outpost Wedding Chapel, Hesperia, CA. A few friends from the Air Force were there in their jeans and T-shirts. No family attended. My roommate in the dorm was my maid of honor (where she is today I have no idea) and a friend from the shop I worked in gave me away (ditto on where he is today). Olaf's best man was a friend from base (again, no clue where he is today). It was a sunny day. High of about 70. After we got married (no blood work required) we went back to the dorm room and spent the first week of our marriage living in separate rooms! LOL! We couldn't move into our apartment until February 1st. We never had a honeymoon. I didn't wear a wedding gown. My wedding ring is humble and doesn't even fit me anymore. (I weighed 135 and I am 5'9") But, we were married before the Lord. Even though we were not believers, God had a greater plan. Ten months into our marriage, when both of us wanted nothing more than a divorce, God intervened. He saved both of us and gave us new lives. Now 17 years later, I cannot imagine my life without my husband. Just think...in a few more years I will have been married half of my life. We have grown up together. Now we are growing old together. Nothing is better than spending this lifetime with your best friend and knowing that you'll have eternity together as well.

5 comments:

Charity said...

Misty, it's so amazing how the Lord has lead you and Olaf on your journey together towards Him. Someday you guys should get your vows renewed in real wedding clothes and then go on a honeymoon! What really matters is that you were married before the Lord, just like you said. You are an inspiration to me. That was so beautiful when you said there was nothing better than spending your life with your best friend and knowing you'll have eternity together as well. You actually made a tear come to my eye. Thanks for sharing.

Molly said...

hi mrs misty just want to say hi. you have a cool blog you now what no one has put any comments on my blog but you and cami. see you soon.



p.s. look at your tag your it thing. look for the green frog smilly. thanks for my blinkys bye.

blessedmama said...

oooh misty i'm so sorry i missed your anniversary!!! happy late anniversary!! i hope it was a great one. hugs!!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to this. My husband and I, to the rest of the world, should have never gotten married. Of all of the couples who got married around the same time 1993-1995 that we knew...everyone said we would be the ones to NOT make it.

Now they are all divorced and we are still together. Not that it's been easy...but we've defied the odds with our "nontraditional" beginnings!

-Skipper from WAH!

Happy said...

My wife and I were married at the Outpost Wedding Chappel in Hesperia on October 6th, 1996. We have been together 16 years . My best man was Brian my friend, and my witnesses were my nana and popa, who are now deceased.

Our wedding was modest as well, a cheap suit and dinner dress, a very inexpensive ring, but my heart was overflowing with love for the woman of my dreams. My best friend became my wife that day and I gave her my heart. 16 years and three kids later, I love her more than I can express in words. Thank you Jesus for bringing her to me, my princess forever.
RH