Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Tachycardia and other medical terms I wish I didn't know

In case you didn't know this about me, I am pretty much qualified to be a lay midwife. There is no doubt in my mind that I could give quality prenatal care, deliver a baby and do an infant assessment. Heck, even a nine year old could do that under normal circumstances. Because I was infertile for so long, I read every piece of literature about the human reproductive system. Then when I decided to have a homebirth, I read every piece of literature (including medical textbooks) about the birth process. In the process of learning all of this wonderful "stuff" I have grown too big for my britches. Now I think I am a doctor (Cheryl, do not tell Schawn) and I readily diagnose my family with ills and such that I *think* they have. Prime example...today. I have noticed on several occasions that Joiah's heart rate seems really high (tachycardia). Last night I took his pulse (with a real stethoscope that was a gift because I wanted to be a real doctor) while he was sleeping and it was 93-100. Today while watching TV it was 120-136. I know toddler numbers are higher than an adult, but the average toddler heart rate is in the 90's. 136 seems a bit excessive to me. I put in a call to my pediatrician and they assured me that 136 isn't too high. So, I guess I will relax a little, but not too much. You know why? I think I know more than most doctor's anyway! I wonder if I could just test to be a doctor and skip medical school? Hmmm...

This morning I went back to bed after Caleb got on the bus. Josiah and I slept until 9:30 am! WOW! That was really nice. The girls got up and were very quiet. I am still sitting in my pj's but Camille did get her school done. I also cleaned up some clutter, dusted, changed sheets (I despise changing sheets on the bunkbeds)and have done several loads of laundry. I need to clean toilets and tubs next.

Tomorrow is Camille's last Junior Master Gardener. She is sad about that because she really enjoyed the program. We will still go out and help with the vegetable garden at the fairgrounds though. Caleb has a baseball game this Friday night, CORRAL on Saturday and baseball pictures Saturday afternoon. Olaf has a doctor's appointment on Thursday because he has had pains in his heart on two different occasions. The kind of pain that makes him clutch his chest. I told him that he HAD to make an appointment. I have never claimed to be a cardiologist, just a midwife;)

The dryer just buzzed notifying me of another bed that needs to be made with clean sheets. Mine! Pray for all of us if you would.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like you even if you are too big for your britches. :-) Praying for Olaf!

Anonymous said...

Your drier buzzes? Now that is a feature I'll be looking for next time I buy one. I'm forever putting loads in and forgetting abotu them.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Misty!

I know exactly how you feel!!! When you research something long enough, you really do become an expert. I am a feeding tube expert. Not just a regular feeding tube that goes in the stomach, but one that goes in the intestine. We had to call a meeting at John's Hopkins in Batimore and educate them on how to take care of our son's tube. They were CLUELESS!!!! I often thought, like you, if I could just take the state exam, bypassing the degrees of course, and open up a practice!!!