Thursday, April 21, 2005

Lilacs in clay

My husband bought a lilac bush for me last year for Mother's Day. The owner of the nursery tried to discourage him. "Lilacs just don't grow in clay."  But Olaf knew lilacs are my very favorite flower, so he bought it anyway. We lovingly planted it last spring and by the fall, it was looking very dead. Olaf put compost all around it, cut it back to a single twig and we waited through winter. Now my glorious twig of a lilac bush has sprouted several flowers.When we lived in California and New York, there were the most gorgeous lilac bushes everywhere. The were huge and fragrant. I missed them. Until a few weeks ago...when my own lilacs bloomed. God's miracle just for me.Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Misty!
I love lilacs. They are beautiful.

So, will you be voting for Scott next week???????? Hehehehe. He really needs to go, ya know!!!

Have a GREAT day!!!! Hugs, Suzanne :-)

Stephanie said...

They are so pretty - love the smell! What a great husband! :)

Cheri said...

bee-u-tee-ful my friend!!!!!!

Rebekah Castleberry said...

I LOVE lilacs too!!! I just discovered we have a bush at our new home. I'm torn between hacking half of the blooms off to put in the house or leaving them on the bush! Acccckk!!! Oh the stress! ;)

Anonymous said...

Lilacs are one of my most favorite flowers, too. We have so much work going on at our house that we won't be able to plant my loads of lilac bushes til next year. :(