Thursday, February 10, 2005

A little of this...a little of that.

Camille is sick today. She has a bit of a cough and has lost her voice. She says her throat hurts as well. No fever though, so it just must be a bronchial thing. She is excited because I am going to let her watch Little House on the Prairie today. She is reading the series of books, but she has never watched the TV show. I found it plays on the Hallmark Channel from 10 am -12 pm Monday through Friday. I guess I'll be kind and not "do" school today.

I'm so in love with my husband it's almost gross. Last night I got angry with him because Caleb's teeth are CAKED with plaque and it's Olaf's job to brush his teeth! I tried to stay mad at him for longer than 5 minutes, but I couldn't. My flesh just could not prevail! LOL! If all I have to complain about is plaque on teeth, then I just need to shut up. Honestly though, I have a husband that really does "get it." You know how some women say their husbands just don't "get it?" Well, mine really does get it. Or at least I think he does. Maybe that's it! Maybe it's all perception. Maybe if you were looking in on my life you'd see his faults. All I see is the most wonderful, handsome, loving man on the face of this earth. His faults are there, though minor...not magnified. And try as I might, I can't stay mad at the man. I just love him too much.

Grace and Josiah are down in the girls bedroom playing with Thomas the Tank Engine. Grace is trying to help Josiah put it back on the track and he is throwing a dilly of a fit because he thinks she is taking it away. Grace just said, "OK Josahhh (that's how she says his name)I was trying to help you but now I'm not. You figure it out!" She sounds JUST LIKE ME! I don't put up with that stuff very well myself. I'm more of the "Get over it and get on with it" kind of mom. I really need to watch myself and see what needs in the children I am not meeting because of my predisposition to that ideal. Especially Camille. She needs hugs and love and snuggles. I'm not too good at that when they get bigger. I love to snuggle on babies and toddlers, but once they hit about 5...I'm kind of stand offish. I'm not sure why. Camille is almost 9 years old, VERY tall, weighs about 105 pounds and wears a size womens 8 shoe! Just something about a child being that big and hugging on them is not right to me. Sure I give her a kiss goodnight and hug her often, but to snuggle on the couch or bed gives me the willies. Maybe I was molested as a child and don't remember it or something. What do y'all think? Could it just be my personality? I'm not a hugger in a group of women either. When I go to Bible Study people hug me and that makes me a bit uncomfortable as well. Now, if I see someone I haven't seen in a long time...I LOVE TO HUG! But on a weekly basis? No thanks! Wow! Where did all this rambling come from? It must be my therapy session:)



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so wonderful. I love you so much. You really have a twisted view of me...I like it :)

Charity said...

Misty, I pray someday I can be where you are in loving your husband. That is so wonderful. I think mine doesn't even acknowledge there's an "it" he should get. (If that makes any sense! LOL) He's great, though. God made me for him and I strive towards being the wife to him I should be. I know what you mean about the standoffishness with kids, especially older ones, I think I will be the same way. I think part of it's that when they're little, we feel protective, but when they get more independant, it's hard to feel like you need to be physically protective/affectionate. I'm sure they all know how much you love them, though. Have a great day! Talk to you soon.

Cheri said...

Olaf sounds like a catch :) My hubby sometimes gets it...sometimes doesn't and sometimes I help point it out. ROTFLOL :)

I don't know about the huggy/lovey kid thing. I am very huggy toward my kids...we snuggle while watch tv and reading etc. Nathan is 6, over 4ft tall and weighs about 68 lbs. LOL But now my SIL is not one that is openly huggy. She is more reserved. Was your family open with affection? That may be part of it...if you didn't grow up with it, it would naturally lend itself to seem odd. (does that make sense?) Anyway, I'm about to start ''the five love languages for children'' have you read it? Want me to send it your way when I'm done?

I have now blogged your comments. LOL

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a NOT-huggy home at all (like, um, NOT NOT NOT), so being cuddly and hugging is something that I've really had to MAKE myself do. Same with looking them in the eyes and smiling at them...all those were things I've had to make myself learn to do, almost like thinking of it as a daily chore!

But... The more I do it, the more natural it becomes, until now, where I'm always smiling at 'em, gazing at 'em, tickling and resting my hand on them, etc... New habits, I guess... :o)

Love,
Mollyhttp://threepennies.blogdrive.com/

The Nurtured Empath said...

Hey Misty!
Thankyou for posting about how much in love you are with hubby! I sometimes wonder if I'm a weirdo, I too am madly in love with my hubby and can't stay very mad at him for long. How blessed we truly are sister!!

You know about my past, it took major effort on my part to become more affectionate with my older children and family. Bill's family is very huggy and it took some getting used to. I still sometimes feel myself tense up when I feel a hug coming on. It's so easy with babies and toddlers!!

Have a great Friday!! God Bless you!!