Monday, February 27, 2006

Love, love, love this quote

This is from the book The Creative Homemaker written by Mary LaGrand Bouma.

If we choose not to do this very special job (homemaking), it will simply not get done; the mothering, the nurtuting, the comforting and caring that fills the committed homemaker's day will simply be lost, and society will be impoverished. Children will not get the spiritual guidance they need. Lonely teenagers will not be listened to. Many people with problems will not be ministered to, many sick folk will go unvisited. A special human quality will disappear from our culture. Women can give up their jobs as clerks, engineers, sales people, doctors - other people will step in and the world will go on as smoothly as before. It will be business as usual. The groceries will still be sold, trucks loaded with merchandise will still roll across our highways, and Wall Street will carry on. Not so with homemaking. We are the special people into whose hands the country and the world have been entrusted. When we leave this job the world does not go on as before. It falters and begins to lose its way. We homemakers are indispensable.

This is a subject very near and dear to my heart. Unfortunatley many women don't feel like Titus 2 appilies to us today. How incredibly sad.

Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips, nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, that the Word of God may not be dishonored. Titus 2:3-5

This tells me that my behavior as a women can indeed dishonor the Word of God. If I am the opposite of those qualitites listed, then what am I doing? I guess I am considered an "older woman" now. The problem is the "church" doesn't have many older women exhibiting the qualities in Titus 2. Mary Pride in the book All the Way Home says, "Every new Christian woman reads Titus 2:3-5 and goes on a search for an older woman who will train her...I know, because a large number of them write to me complaining that such a female is not to be found. The older women are all busy with new careers or retirement plans. They have no time for their daughters' babies, or to give housecleaning lessons, or to hold a new couple's hands while they adjust to married life..." So true, so true. I can name on one finger (that means I only know one) woman who I could consider a Titus 2 woman to me. Just one. All the other "older women" are working outside the home and don't have time to be true to the calling of Titus 2.

If I made you mad with my post, I'm sorry. I just believe the Bible says what it means and means what it says.

No comments: