Monday, June 20, 2005

Humbled

I am completely humbled by the people that are making donations to my 3-Day Walk. Thank you so very much. I do not know some of these generous people, but they are sponsoring me to honor Karen. What a huge blessing. Then I got a phone call today from my best friend when I was a kid who follows my blog religiously!:) She is going to make a $100 donation in honor of Karen and she has NO IDEA who Karen is! Thank you, thank you, thank you. You all have blessed and humbled me beyond words. May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you all! Amen!

I stopped by to see Karen today. It is the first time I have seen her since Mother's Day at church. She looks about 9 months pregnant from the swelling in her abdomen. She is getting jaundiced and her eyes looked yellow. She has a UTI due to the cath she had while in the hospital so she is on antibiotics now. She started her chemo pills this morning and has to watch for the side effects that may be associated with that. Her children were precious though and the boys gave me a hug when I left. Hannah (the 8 y.o. girl) needs to talk about the cancer for her to deal with it. She asked me as soon as I came in the door, "Do you know my mom has cancer?" JD (the 10 yo boy) said, "Hannah, all of mom's friends know she has cancer!"

I had my annual pap smear today. Lovely. I have an appointment with the ENT tomorrow afternoon for which I am grateful. Olaf was able to get an appointment for me with Dr. H when I could not. Something about a man...hmmm...wonder if that's Biblical?:) Honestly, when I called the receptionist said the earliest I could get in was July. When Olaf called for me they said they would work me in tomorrow. Now, why is that??

I didn't walk at all today. I need to get this fat butt moving. I already have a minor shin splint from the 2 days I did walk. So. Very. Sad. I need to work up to an 18 mile walk. I am going to be gone ALL DAY LONG when that happens.

I'm sure I have mentioned my 20 year high school reunion is this August. I'm still debating about whether to go or not. If you go Tammy, then I may. Lawd, people are going to look at me and whisper about how fat I am! I can see the clique of girls doing it right now. And I bet they are still in the same clique at the reunion. I think about my classmates that have already died. Jeff Perry died of cancer either our senior year or right after, Barbara Allen had leukemia or something, Diane Davidson lost her life to anorexia, and Greg Suiter (my old boyfriend) died under mysterious circumstances. His family won't disclose the cause of death so I am guessing suicide or drug overdose. Here I am, 37 years old with a wonderful husband, four healthy children, a beautiful home, a reliable van, bills paid, washing machine whirring, no cancer in my body...and still I refuse to see the big picture a lot of times. It's easy to get caught up in the here and now, isn't it? So, I'll end this by saying go count your blessings! You have many!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

You have almost 1,800.00 my friend. YOU ROCK. And I know exactly what you mean, I am blessed beyond measure and I have to stop myself from being whiny and self focused so often. I'll be praying for you tomorrow!!!!