Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Jaundiced Baby

I had to take Simon in for a bilirubin blood test yesterday. His count was 14 which is moderately jaundiced. He doesn't require phototherapy lights until his level hits 20. I have to take him back in tomorrow for another blood test to see if the levels have dropped. The whites of his eyes are even yellow. The bad thing about that blood test is they make this cut (not just a poke) in his heel so it will bleed a lot. Then they have to fill up this little vial full of blood. It takes about 5 minutes or so of squeezing his heel. It is so hard to watch. He only cried minimally last time, so I am hoping tomorrow will be like that as well. Here is a photo of my yellow boy taken today after his first bath.



Thanks for all the encouragement on my last post:) I was doing better until I decided to massage the painful knots out of my girls. It released the milk which felt fabulous, but two hours later they were fuller than before. I nurse him constantly, but I think the problem started when he would only nurse on one side then fall asleep. Then he would wake up an hour later and nurse on the other side. So essentially, each breast is being milked every two hours. I cannot lie (or lay?) on my side because it feels like a mountain between me and the mattress.

I am still holding Simon 24/7 which is fine by me. I hold him all day and I hold him all night. Am I sleeping? Why, no I am not. However, this time passes by so quickly. I don't want to miss a minute. I think that is one of the advantages of being an older mom. You realize how fleeting this newborn stage is and you want to savor every.single.moment. I remember when I had Camille. I would get so mad in the middle of the night because I wasn't getting my sleep. Oh to be 28 again. I would do things a lot differently.

Leave a comment and let me know you were here. It is so fun reading them all. Even my friend, Tammy, stopped by. She doesn't even have the internet. She must have been at the library.

No comments: