Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sick children

Wouldn't you know it? Spring Break for Caleb is this week and it is starting with sick children. I took Camille to the doctor on Friday because her tonsils are huge (to the point of touching each other)although not red or anything. I wanted to make sure she was OK and maybe get a referral to the ENT doctor. (Gotta love those HMO's) The doctor gave her some Sudal and said she was fine. Friday night Josiah starts running a temp. We look in his throat and his tonsils are red with puss pockets on them. I figured it was strep and I took him to the doctor Saturday morning. They did a strep test which was negative so they didn't give me any antibiotics. I still think it's bacterial and will probably take him back to the doctor this week and demand antibiotics for this poor child. He has a fever and nasty throat. No other symptoms. Then, as Olaf was running errands with Grace in the van, she starts vomiting. Profusely. He brought her home and she proceeded to vomit every five minutes (no exaggeration) for four hours. We tried phenegran and it didn't help at all. So, the pediatrician on call called in for some Zofran. It's an anti-nausea drug that they give Chemo patients. It did slow down the vomiting, but it didn't stop it. She slept with me last night so I could take care of her. I felt so helpless because there was nothing I could do to help her. She was so brave though. I am so proud of her. I am just praying that no one else gets the stomach virus. Josiah sure doesn't need it on top of his current illness. I am afraid to vomit so I am totally freaked out by it all. It's Spring Break so Caleb is home all week. That is hard enough as it is, but to have them vomiting will not be fun. Pray for us.

I'll check back in and let you know how it is going. If you don't hear from me for a few days it's because everyone is puking. That will help me with Weight Watchers this week though. Hmm...

No comments: