Thursday, October 27, 2005

Not even an honorable mention

The pumpkins that won were really cool though. I forgot to take pictures but the first place prize went to a pumpkin carriage from Cinderella. They painted the pumpkin pink and had toy horses drawing the carriage. It was cute. Camille did get $5 just for entering though.

Today I need to pick Caleb up at school and then take him up to Olaf's work. Olaf will take him to the neurologist from there and probably be home somewhere around 6:30. It all depends on that lovely Atlanta traffic. Caleb sees the neurologist twice a year for his seizure medicine refills. This January will make two years without a Grand Mal seizure (PTL!), so they will probably do another EEG the next time we take him up. His med dose is fairly high. When he was on lower doses of the same drug he still had seizures. It was within therapeutic range, but just not high enough for Caleb.

My friend Cheryl has a thought provoking post up about "gentle parenting." (That is the no spank philosophy for those of you wondering) I thought the article was very well written and everyone should go read it. That said, I don't agree with all of it;) But what we both agree on is the goal of parenting should be to shepherd our children's hearts. Whatever the method is that works for your family, your main goal of child rearing should be to raise them for the glory of the LORD. We've all seen the people in WalMart beating their kids. That is NOT training their hearts. We've all seen children running the household and being absolute brats. That is NOT training their hearts. As a parent we guide, instruct, love, and admonish just like a shepherd does with sheep. Unlike sheep, our children have the capacity to understand, feel, and think. We can get all the "outward" appearance of good, but if there is no passion from within themselves to KNOW good, then it is all useless. That child WILL rebel. Oh parenting is not easy my friends. Everyday I screw something up and am so sure that my children are forever marred. I pray every night that the LORD would undo all the crap that I did. That He would protect their little hearts and not hate me when they get older. Then I claim the verse "His mercies are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness!" I fall asleep knowing that my Father has given me a new opportunity to be a better mother tomorrow. A better mother, a better wife, a better friend.

I'm steadily gaining my weight back. Someone please help me get motivated. I don't want to be fat, but I don't want to stop eating! LOL!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post. :)

Sorry I can't help on the weight thing. I ate 1/2 a bag of chex mix last night. LOL

Gem said...

Couldn't get to Cheryl's site, it says the site I am trying to reach has exceeded it's bandwith or something like that. I'll come back and try again, I'd really like to see what she has to say.

Cheryl said...

Love you, sister. And well said. :)

Mrs. Darling said...

Just joined W@H and saw you over there. I joined WW a few weeks ago myself. I've lost 6 pounds but still have like 80 something to lose. Journal every bite girl. Remember nothing tastes as good as thin feels!