Tuesday, August 28, 2007

20 year anniversary of a MIRACLE!

I never hijacked Misty's blog, but here it goes...

20 years ago today, I did not know who God was, but He knew me and decided to do something wonderful in my life. It was a miracle, here is the story: I was a new recruit in the Air Force stationed at George AFB in California. There was a newer very beautiful recruit named Misty Johnson also stationed at George who I had wanted to talk to for some time, but I was chicken. On this day 20 years ago, after much pacing in my dorm room and much hesitation as I walked up the stairs to Misty’s dorm room, I finally got up the nerve to knock on the door (my fingers are tingling right now as I remember how it felt that day). Misty was spending her Friday night playing “I Need Love” by LL Cool J on her stereo so she could memorize the words (if you know Misty, you know she has a knack for music and yes, she can sing I Need Love to you still today if you like). Being the suave NY cool guy that I made myself out to be (even though I was a wreck inside) I asked her if she wanted to see a movie. What movie you ask? That romantic first date classic...“Born in East LA” (it hurts to even type that). First miracle: She said YES! Ok, so we leave in my rockin’ black VW Scirocco to the Victorville Movie Theater. When we get to the ticket booth (this is killing me) I let Misty know we were going Dutch (Arrg!) Can you believe it? Second miracle: she didn’t laugh, she didn’t tell me to take a hike, she (amazingly) paid and went in to see the movie with one of the biggest dorks to walk the planet. Finally, here is the third miracle: she married me, has stuck it out with me, carried 4 of my 5 wonderful children, and most of all she loves me - me the idiot who did a great job trying to ruin my chances with such a wonderful woman. Misty, you are the love of my life, you are my best friend, you are a blessing from God which I do not deserve. Happy First Date Anniversary! I love you Misty!

No comments: