Friday, January 02, 2009

2009

Here it is. A New Year. A fresh start. A clean slate. LOVE THAT!

However, I need to update everyone on my husband's health. For the several years his health has been declining. He has odd symptoms off and on like numbness in his arm or hands, muscle weakness, very tired all the time, generally not feeling well. The symptoms come and go and no matter how much I nagged, he never went to the neurologist. Well, fast forward to November 2008 while we are on vacation at Disney World. He starts getting mouth sores. You know, like canker sores. By November 15th the man cannot eat because his entire mouth and throat are covered in white patches. He sees our family doctor the day before Thanksgiving who tries to treat him for oral thrush. Nope. Didn't work. He then goes to a PA at our Ear, Nose, Throat doctor who prescribes an antiviral med and some magic mouthwash. He follows up with her 2 weeks later with a little bit of relief, but not much. So, today he sees the ENT Doctor (Dr. Heindel whom I love and adore) who believes that what is going on in his mouth and throat is caused by a much larger problem. He ordered a whole bunch of blood work and Olaf follows up with him next Friday. I mean, this could be very serious. Serious such as leukemia, lymphoma, or another autoimmune disorder. To say I am nervous would be an understatement, but I also know there is not one thing I can do to change things. So, I wait. I wait until someone tells us what is wrong so we can begin to fix it. To look on the bright side, Olaf has lost about 20 pounds so at least his blood pressure should fall:) So keep Olaf in your thoughts and prayers as he endures this awful pain in his mouth and throat. I can't imagine not being able to eat or heaven forbid, drink alcohol. I will keep you posted as we learn more.

No comments: