Tuesday, September 11, 2007

While others remember the world trade center

I will reminisce about my first child who was born on this day in 1995. After several years of infertility, Olaf and I decided to adopt. At the time I was certain this desire was from the Lord (more on that later), so we applied with Bethany Christian Services in Atlanta. Because we didn't care what color our adopted child would be, we were put on a list of people who would be willing to adopt a biracial child. Less than five months after our application went in, we got a phone call that a birthmom wanted to meet us. Needless to say, we met and on September 11, 1995 Caleb was born. At the time of his birth I was 14 weeks pregnant with our daughter. The Lord worked it out so they are exactly six months apart. She was born March 11, 1996. OK Misty, stay focused... Caleb was a very colicky, high needs (that is an understatement) baby. When he was about four months old, we noticed that something wasn't quite right. It was almost as if his eyes didn't "connect" with us. He did not babble or coo, was late hitting his developmental milestones, and his mouth was always hanging open in a weird way. When I mentioned all this to our pediatrician, he took a 'wait and see' approach. When Caleb was about 14 months old, we took him to a Developmental Pediatrician who took one look at him and said, "Let's get him tested for Fragile X Syndrome. He has all the physical characteristics." I remember being so relieved. Finally, finally, we might have an answer. I didn't know what Fragile X was at that point, but I was just so happy to have a diagnoses. Skip forward twelve years...

Caleb is 12 years old today. He is handsome, sweet, BIG, loving, playful, and his heart is full of joy. He adores Olaf (and he has no problem telling you that Papa is his favorite. NOT mom.) He also is hyperactive, cannot speak, incontinent, moderately mentally retarded (not PC I know) and has a whole host of sensory issues, and has seizures. I have to admit that there are days (too many I must say) when I focus on the hard times instead of the blessing that Caleb is. Raising a child with special needs is not easy. It is hard. Very hard. The hardest thing I have ever been called to do. I don't enjoy it in my flesh. I wouldn't have chosen this for myself. I am sure that sounds selfish, but as the old saying goes...walk a mile in my shoes. However, I have to trust that God has placed him here no matter what the circumstances. You see...

Before we even put in an application for adoption, I really felt in my spirit that we would conceive. It was almost as if God told me somehow that I just needed to trust Him and His timing. However, that wasn't good enough for me. I wanted a baby NOW! So, we started the adoption process. Thus the question; is Caleb my Ishmael? You know how God promised Sarah that she would have a biological child and she didn't believe him. So she sent Abraham out to Hagar and thus little Ishmael was born. I know I can't dwell on WHY Caleb is here at any rate. He is, God is sovereign, and we love him dearly. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CALEB!

No comments: